Amelia Lindsey - 2012 Dayton Fair Queen
Marsha Loscar - First Runner Up
Dayton Fair Queen Pageant
The purpose of the Fair Queen Competition Program is to encourage the promotion of agricultural fairs and to create better relations between youth and adults in both rural and urban settings. The winner of the Dayton Fair Queen Contest will be eligible to compete for a scholarship at the state level, and for the title of Pennsylvania State Fair Queen.
Each contestant must:
- Meet one of the following three requirements:
- Be a resident of Armstrong County.
- Attend a school in Armstrong County.
- Be a member of a regularly organized 4-H Club or FFA club within Armstrong County.
- Be a female at least 16 but not over 20 years of age by June 1, 2013.
- Be single, never married, have had no children and must not marry, nor get pregnant during her reign.
- Not be a former local fair queen winner, nor State Fair Queen winner.
- Have her parent or guardian’s consent and signature.
- Attend a MANDATORY orientation meeting on Thursday, July 18, 6:30 pm at the Dayton Fairgrounds..
- Compete in a 2-part contest on the two Sundays preceding the fair (August 4 and August 11).
- Attend the first part of the contest at the Marshall House in Dayton on Sunday, Aug 4, 1pm for a private interview with 3 out of county judges and present a 3-5 minute speech on "Why you Should Come to My Fair" which will also be evaluated by the judges.
- On Sunday evening, Aug 11, at the Dayton Fair Grandstand, give a short personal introduction followed by answering a short impromptu question.
- Be available to participate in events during the 7 days of the Dayton Fair, August 11-17.
- Compete in Hershey, PA, at the State Queen Competition, in January 2014, and follow the rules set forth by the State Queen Committee.
- Meet and greet visitors and local officials, participate in area parades, present ribbons, and attend regional festivals promoting the Dayton Fair throughout her year-long reign.
- Write an essay of 300 words or less on “What My Fair Means to My Community.”
Contestants will be judged on the following criteria:
Poise, Appearance, Neatness, Ability to communicate, knowledge of the fair industry, written essay, personal interview, speech presentation, and introduction.
Winner will be announced at the Opening Ceremonies of the 2012 Dayton Fair, August 12, 2012. The winner will be awarded a $250.00 scholarship from Swank’s Steel City Shows as well as a Savings Bond, donated by Elderton State Bank and a scholarship from Dlubak Corporation. Travel and housing expenses for the state competition, in January, will be arranged and provided by the Dayton Fair Board.
The Dayton Fair of Pennsylvania is a proud member of the Pennsylvania State Association of County Fairs.
Pageant Entry Details
Mail All Entries To:
Dayton Fair Queen Contest
c/o: Dr. Erika Moore
135 Worthington Slate Lick Road
Worthington, Pa. 16262
Be sure to include:
Age (as of June 1):
Date of Birth:
Name of school/college:
Parent/Legal Guardian Signature of Approval:
Describe your scholastic achievements, extra curricular activities, award, honors, community and church activities, hobbies, employment experience, and any other information you feel is important.